Bristol-based W&F Barrett Ltd started making invalid tricycles in around 1948 with tiller-steered vehicles powered by 250cc Villiers single-cylinder engine. Its best-known products, commissioned by the Ministry of Health, were for special use. The ‘Model 41’ was intended for ‘patients up to 20 stone living in hilly districts.
The ‘Model 58’ Minor, launched in 1956, was intended for “small persons with a short arm reach” and the car measured only 38in (96 cm) wide, and 96in (244 cm) long. It was powered by a 197cc Villiers Mk9E engine mounted in the rear. The enclosed bodywork was in glassfibre and featured a rear-hinged door and single front headlamp.