Announced on 31 October 1956 as a late addition to the 1957 range, the Bond Minicar Mark E received a completely new body with 2 doors and a new chassis made of steel box secions. The Villiers 9E, 197cc engine and 4-speed gearbox were the same, as used in the late Mark D minicars. Siba Dynastart became standard equipment. The new generation also had a wrap around Triplex windshield, sliding side windows and full width front and rear chrome bumpers.
The wider front grill was bolted either side to the front wings. The body was completely flat-sided and as with previous models used light alloy for all exterior panels. The range was increased by using a larger 3¼ gallon petrol tank. Mark E had 12 v electric system and included such options as two windshield wipers, front and rear turning signals, 7 “head lamps and rear / brake lights. The dashboard was made of fibre glass. Its instrument panel included a large speedometer, ignition warning light, choke control, windscreen wiper switch and a three-way key operated switch for ignition, starting and, when fitted, reverse.
Both seats were adjustable and folding allowed access to the rear luggage compartment. The passenger seat could be removed completely to increase baggage capacity. Overall dimensions: length -11 ‘0 “, width – 5’ 0”, height – 4 ‘0 “, wheelbase – 5’ 6”. Weight – 672 lb. The last vehicle designated as a Mark E was a Light Green Saloon Coupe, tested on 6th November 1958.
Bond Minicar Mark E photos
1956 Bond Minicar E.X.P. Mark “E”
The first prototype of Bond Minicar Mk E was presented on Sharp’s stand at the 1956 Motorcycle show in December. It got Villiers 9E, 197 cc with a 3 speed direct change gearbox (later production version had a 4-speed gearboxes). Hood, interior and seats were Fawn with black “Hardura” floor carpets. Length 11′ 0″, width 4′ 7″, height 4′ 0″. The wheelbase was originally 6′ 6″ (10 inches more than production vesion) and the initial weight was 620 lb. Another 6 prototypes were made till the end of the year. The main problem with these prototypes were its longer wheelbase which led to handling problems.
1958 Bond Minicar Mark E Experimental 12
This minicar painted in British Racing Green was tested on 21st January 1958. According to a chassis plate number, it was a reverse Tourer and it used by Sharp’s Commercials for development work. Later it was sold to a motorcycle dealer in Eccleston in March 1962. Probably the same time it was converted to a 4 seater Family model. Lucky, that finally it was restored to its original condition with an open-top body.
Bond Minicar Mark E Saloon Coupe
The second version of Mark E was presented in May 1958. This is the 2/3 seater Sallon Coupe fitted with a hard top. This roof could be removed in one piece. All hard tops were Stone in colour. Price remained the same as for the Tourer at £379 13s 9d or £389 17s 9d with reverse.